www.hrss.net Forum Index www.hrss.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another scabies infested bun found - Pimento
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KastleKonfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Another scabies infested bun found - Pimento Reply with quote

Pimento was retrieved from a rescuer at Edgedale Plains, Punggol, around 11:30pm on 14th June. Lynette had found him near a drain at Punggol Walk roundabout. It appeared to be suffering from an unconfirmed case of scabies. The crusty exudate of inflammation that is characteristic of advanced stages of this disease around the ears, the nose, the eyes and the feet were significant. The nose was protruding some 3 cm from crust formation. There was also bleeding around the edge of the ears which may have resulted from self wounding by scratching.

We opened the carrier to let it out to take some pictures and it was very afraid, and actually squealed loudly before it was even touched. Once we put it in its temporary cage with hay, it ate ravenously. It was obviously in great discomfort as it would shake uncontrollably at intervals. On another occasion, we heard it squeal from another part of the apartment. That's pretty loud for a rabbit!

The next day, it seemed a lot calmer and had finished all the hay. It was so thin that handling it felt like carrying a bag of bones. It was sent to the vet clinic in Holland V for examination and scabies was confirmed. It was also sexed as male and was already castrated. His low weight meant that there was a higher risk of reaction to medication. Therefore, initial plans to have it fostered and housed at an empty apartment was aborted in preference to temporary quarantine and care @ KastleKonfusion as advised by the vet.

The vet kept it for observation for the afternoon and by the evening, it seemed to be taking well to the medication and feeding, and had started to become inquisitive of its surroundings. It was brought back to its quarantine quarters in the spare bathroom where we could keep him under observation until he had recovered some of his weight and was less likely to succumb to side effects of the medication, after which the plan would be to foster him out healthy.

{Pimento's album - http://photobucket.com/albums/y123/KastleKonfusionBunnies/050615_Pimento/}

[Rabbits make ideal house pets because they have very little disease which can be passed to humans. Animal scabies is not generally infectious to humans but humans can act as carriers between pets. They can however cause itching in people in some rare cases. However, they do not infest people as they are quite species specific and cannot reproduce in a human host.]

Last edited by KastleKonfusion on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
raisin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it hurts mi to see any rabbits in this kind of situation....why are human beings so cruel?!!! hai...i just hope that pimento recovers soon~
hai...
BitBit
Trusted member
Trusted member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so sad Crying or Very sad How could anyone do this to him? (I ask myself so many times it's becoming a cliche Sad) I hope he recovers well from the scabies. I've seen scabies/mites but I've never seen a case so severe. Poor Pimento looks mutated from the "horn" and "armour" on his nose and ears. Poor baby *hugs*

Does he need anything? Like more hay etc etc I can bring over on Saturday (not that he doesn't already have Very Happy) Just a little gift for the baby.

sugarmelody
Trusted member
Trusted member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor baby.. And why is it always the albinos who have such fate? I should go home n hug Monty later and tell her I'll love her and how much her fellow albino frenz have to suffer.. Crying or Very sad

And pimento looks so sad in the pics.. Just breaks my heart to see him.
I pray for his speedy recovery and find the home he truly deserves ! Wink
Sparky&Shay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh gees... poor boy... why would someone actually bear to do this to a little rabbit?? i cant believe the number of rabbits being abandon each month afta joining this forum and isn't there any punishment for anyone who abandon animals?? gosh... and pls update us about Pimento's condition k??
i'm gonna paint the world BLACK.
xXpandaXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor pimento... hope he recovers quickly and return to his old bunny self... i almost cried when i saw the pictures... how could people actually do this... could someone hug him for me and tell him that he's a great bunbun and will be well soon... Crying or Very sad
( Y )
-+-my darling panda-+-
Velvetine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

I'm Lynnette and I'm the one who found Pimento a couple of nights ago. I'm glad that he is in very good hands. I would have taken him in myself (me is former bunny slave of at least 9 years) but my cats might have other ideas.

I might turn up for the gathering at Karan's tomorrow depending on my schedule. Really miss having bunnies.

Actually, I adoped one from SPCA several years back but after one incident involving the cats and the bunny, Sponge was packed off my mum's where he is now living the life of luxury (read endless hay, food, carpet Rolling Eyes )

Hope to see you guys tomorrow. **crossing fingers**

p.s. Thanks Karan for rushing down on Tuesday night.
jawskie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH.

15th Jun. I'd been here for a few weeks and I had been reading all these rabbit rescues and mannnnnnnnnn, I read this thinking it was an old forum topic, waiting for some entry announcing how the rabbit is doing great.

This is very defeating. Sad

But KK's an angel to rabbits everywhere. Pimento will do great soon.

Last edited by jawskie on Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ironic_dreamer27

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scabbies!? >_<" My buns have gotten that before and I know it stinks. Hope that this bunny will recover very soon!
Nottie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya! this bunny is doing well, he's currently stable, i just saw him few days ago. He's hyper active, love to hop around. Don`t worry, he's doing excellent under KastleKonfusion care. no worries, it's really doing just fine. Wink
isaacky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hei,nottie,yeap,he's doing very well now,playful as usual,seen him today,haha Laughing
Velvetine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very glad to know that he is doing so well!
Jackson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pimento had jumped out of the cage today...haizz....
BitBit
Trusted member
Trusted member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackson wrote:
Pimento had jumped out of the cage today...haizz....

He did? Feisty little critter ain't he? But that just shows to never under-estimate rabbits. They can jump REAL HIGH and REAL WELL. For good reasons. Like the bales of hay that are out-of-reach. Laughing
gayrabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wa so poor thing the scabies are really bad! how come scabies can make nose pop! how to recover? apply medicine? hope it recover its beauty again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hrss.net Forum Index -> Rabbit Rescues All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: